Beneficiaries of unemployment benefits fall 5.9% in March – The Economic Journal

Unemployment rate reverses trend and rises to 6.7% - The Economic Journal


The total number of beneficiaries of unemployment benefits was 177,130 in March, a decrease of 5.9% over the same period and of 3.1% compared to the previous month, according to the monthly Social Security statistics.

In March, there were thus 11,080 unemployment benefits compared to the same month last year and 5,671 fewer than the previous month.

Unemployment benefit was attributed to 146,296 people in March, a year-on-year drop of 3.3% (minus 5,004 allowances) and a reduction of 3.4% in chain (minus 5.159).

Also, the initial unemployment benefit decreased by 13.1% year-on-year and by 4.9% compared to February, with 8,076 subsidies processed in March.

Subsequent unemployment benefit covered 21,569 people, decreasing by 9.9% compared to the same period last year, but registering a slight increase of 0.1% over the previous month.

The extraordinary measure of support for the long-term unemployed included 2,231 people in March, minus 2,503 (52.9%) in year-on-year terms and 34 individuals (1.5%) considering February.

The average monthly amount of the subsidy processed per beneficiary was 494.2 euros in March, an increase of 1.4% over the same month and a reduction of 0.6% in the chain.

Regarding the sickness allowance, in March, 145,105 benefits were attributed, 60% of which were for women and 39.8% for men.

Compared with the same month of 2018, there was a 3% reduction in the number of sickness benefits. Also in relation to the previous month there was a decrease of 15.2% in the total number of beneficiaries.

Social Security statistics also show that in March 2,030,587 old-age pensions were processed, a year-on-year reduction of 0.3%. By sex, women held 52.9% of total old-age pensions and men the remaining 47.1%.

704,778 survivor pensions were processed, a year-on-year fall of 0.1% and a 0.7% reduction over the previous month. Of the total pensions of this nature, it is the female that continues to hold the majority (81.7%).

The granting of invalidity pensions rose by 0.6%, both year-on-year and in chain, to 178,541 pensions, with a majority of men (52.2%).



Source link