The CGTP-affiliated Federation of Transport and Communications Unions (Fectrans) has not joined the strike by drivers of goods and dangerous goods, which completes the third day on Wednesday and is expected to continue indefinitely. Instead, the union structure, which is the largest in the transport sector, has opted for negotiation and this week will meet again with employers.
The drivers' strike, which began this Monday, was called by the National Hazardous Material Drivers Union (SNMMP) and the Independent Merchandise Drivers Union (SIMM). Later, another CGTP affiliate joined this strike: the Northern Road and Urban Transport Workers Union (STRUN).
But Fectrans declined to join the strike, saying "it is time for negotiation." At issue is a protocol signed with the National Association of Public Road Hauliers (Antram) on May 17, which led to the conduct of the driver strike in April.
The protocol was signed between Antram and SNMMP, which was the only union that had called a strike at the time. Under this protocol, the two parties moved into negotiations and other union structures such as SIMM and Fectrans were called. Following the removal of SNMMP and SIMM and consequent call for a new strike, negotiations continued exclusively with Fectrans, although in practical terms the trade union claims were identical.
José Manuel Oliveira, Fectrans coordinator, guarantees that he does not feel any pressure, because he did not adhere to the stoppage. “There is time for negotiation. That is what is foreseen in the collective bargaining agreement we signed last year, which provides for its revision this year, either in the protocol of 17 May. It is in this space that we are negotiating with the assumptions that were defined in this protocol ”, he says.
What does Fectrans claim?
On the negotiating table with the bosses is the drivers' collective work contract (CCTV). Fectrans says that only the specific ordinance for banning tanker fuel on Sundays and public holidays is still to be published. Following a meeting on Monday, Infrastructure Minister Pedro Nuno Santos assured that the ordinance is in the public discussion phase.
The issue of the amount of allowance awarded to workers specifically trained for loading and unloading is another matter that is being negotiated between drivers and employers. In this regard, Pedro Nuno Santos announced the creation of a working group to present proposals to the Government on this matter within the next 90 days.
As for the wage increases claimed by all unions, Fectrans says an increase from 630 to 700 euros in the base salary of heavy-duty drivers is being negotiated. Only from 2021 does Fectrans want to advance to 850 euros.
Fectrans also wants to discuss the enforcement mechanisms of the employment contract with the Minister of Labor, Solidarity and Social Security, António Vieira da Silva, considering that drivers have been complaining of non-compliance by CCTV entities. employers.
The union structure led by José Manuel Oliveira will meet with Antram again at 2 pm on Wednesday, at the employer's association headquarters in Lisbon. Next Friday, at the headquarters of the Ministry of Infrastructure and Housing, a meeting will be held between Fectrans and the National Association of Public Transport (ANTP), another employer association of the heavy goods road sector.