The National Republican Guard (GNR), between October 29 and January 31, 2019, throughout the national territory, carries out the second phase of the operation "Safe Field", intensifying patrolling in forest areas and farms, with the prevention of crime in general and the theft of olive, brown and non-precious metals in particular, with particular attention to possible trafficking in human beings.
During this period, military personnel from the territorial commando, the Nature Protection and Environment Service, the Tax Action Unit and the Criminal Investigation Unit are involved. During the patrolling, they carry out awareness-raising campaigns with rural communities, especially farmers, on measures prevention and protection against theft, and prevention of accidents involving vehicles and agricultural machinery, alerting them to the safety rules inherent in the driving and use of such vehicles.
In the use and driving of agricultural vehicles (tractors), GNR advises:
– Maintain the vehicle. Their malfunction or lack of cleaning can cause accidents;
– Always use protective structures, such as the "Santo António" arch, can avoid the driver's death or reduce the severity of injuries;
– Use the lighting and signaling accessories according to the law;
– Attend theoretical and practical training actions. The user must know the risks of driving farm tractors and move safely;
– Do not drive under the influence of alcohol, fatigue or speeding;
– Respect the limits of the tractor. Do not overload or carry passengers "hanging". It is forbidden and dangerous.