In 2020 Ferragudo celebrates "500 years of Living the Sea"

In 2020 Ferragudo celebrates "500 years of Living the Sea"


The year 2020 is marked by the fiftieth anniversary of the founding of the village of Ferragudo, instituted by the letter of privileges of Queen D. Leonor. "500 years is a remarkable longevity, an ephemeris worth celebrating with the pomp and circumstance inherent in the centenary memory of the place," says the municipality.

Under the aegis of the 500th anniversary, the Lagoa City Council and the Ferragudo Parish Council are preparing a set of initiatives that, throughout the year, will take place under the Ferragudo motto: 500 years of Living the Sea.

At this symbolic moment, in which we recall the facts that define Ferragudo as it is today, it is important to rediscover the history of a much older locality than the formal act of creation on 21 August 1520 makes clear. Linked to the sea, and the movement of people and goods in Arade, the main means of incursion into the heart of
Algarve windward, almost uninterruptedly, Ferragudo assumed a dichotomous propensity for fishing fog and a place of control of river circulation.

From its inception, it took Ferragudo 242 years to achieve administrative autonomy and then to the category of village, 237 years. It was part of the parish of Estômbar until 1749, when it was detached at the initiative of Archbishop Bishop of the Algarve D. Inacio de Santa Teresa, in a troubled process that dragged on until 1762 and which opposed the will of two peoples and two parishes.

With the award of the royal charter of 16 January 1773, which endowed the remarkable place d'Alagoa with the status of town and county, Ferragudo joins, together with Estômbar and Mexilhoeira da Carregacao, the newly created municipality of Lagoa.

According to the executive, “the program for the celebrations of Ferragudo's 500th anniversary was worked to cover the most diverse areas, from the arts to physical exercise, from historiography to gastronomy, from crafts to popular festivities. The official opening of the commemorations on January 11, at 3 pm, next to the Church of Nossa Senhora da Conceição, should be highlighted.

comments

comments



Source link