If you are from the South region or have a child who will enter higher education in 2020, this article is for you. Do the math and find out if it really pays to go to study in another city in the country or stay in the Alentejo or Algarve.
See below the major universities and higher education institutions of this region and compare them with the best Portuguese universities.
SOUTH REGION: ALENTEJO AND ALGARVE
University of Algarve (UAlg)
Founded in 1979, the University of Algarve is a public college that is divided into two campuses: due to the growing number of students attending this school, one is located in Faro (the original) and another in Portimão (this building). only serves the Tourism course).
In total, the number of students is about 8000. The courses are quite diverse and cover all types of fields – from the humanities, communication or medicine. Examples of some of the 40 courses offered by the University of Algarve are Nursing, Economics, Sports, Visual Arts or Communication Sciences.
Currently the university is the result of the union of the two Algarvian institutions that once existed: the University of Algarve and the Polytechnic Institute of Faro (the Polytechnic Institute of Faro was eventually extinguished).
The UAlg is thus a different institution from the others because two organic units of higher education coexist: the university and the polytechnic.
· € 871.52 (annual amount);
· Or they can be paid in eight monthly installments, the first of which is € 186.52 upon registration or enrollment and the next three of € 115 from October to December. The last installments of the months of February, March, April and May are worth 85 €.
· The tuition fee is the same regardless of the course chosen.
University of Évora (UÉ)
The University of Évora was the second university to be founded in Portugal, because after the foundation of the University of Coimbra, there was a need to build a university establishment that served the south of the country. Its inauguration took place on November 1, 1559, and today is still celebrating the college's anniversary with a solemn opening ceremony of the academic year.
UÉ also offers a wide range of courses. From the arts to science and technology, some of the outstanding courses are architecture, design, educational sciences, economics, psychology, sports science and nursing.
· The annual value is 871,52 €.
· If the semester does not go well and some course has to be repeated, the tuition fee increases by 25 € if you are enrolled in the isolated course that was left undone.
Portalegre Polytechnic Institute (IPP)
Founded in 1980, the Portalegre Polytechnic is made up of four educational establishments: the School of Education and Social Sciences (ESECS), the School of Technology and Management (ESTG), the School of Health (ESS) and the School Agrarian Superior (ESAE) – the latter is located in Elvas.
It offers several undergraduate courses such as Management, Oral Hygiene, Veterinary Nursing and Social Work.
If you want to invest in your career and practicality, be aware that IPP still offers the following spaces to perform certain activities:
· Technology-based incubator (the BioBIP);
· Interdisciplinary coordination of research and innovation (C3i);
· Office of Entrepreneurship and Employment (GHG);
· Center for Languages and Cultures (CLIL);
· Office for External Relations and Cooperation (REC).
· € 871.52 at the time of registration;
Polytechnic Institute of Beja (IPB)
It was founded on August 7, 1987 and had as its first rector Professor Doctor Jacinto José Montalvão Santos e Silva Marques. The School of Education and the School of Agriculture have always been part of this educational establishment. Later, the Higher School of Health and the School of Technology and Management would be created. Some of the courses that can be offered at IPB are Food Science and Technology, Agronomy and Audiovisual and Multimedia.
One of the strengths of this institution is that the student universe is smaller than the normal establishments and therefore integration may be easier. The Polytechnic Institute of Beja annually has about 3500 students and 200 members of the teaching group.
· 780 € per year.
· Given that the first three university institutions have the same value for the annual tuition fee, the Polytechnic Institute of Beja is the lowest cost university education establishment in the Alentejo and Algarve area (€ 780). € 91.52).
OUTSIDE THE SOUTH REGION: THE BEST UNIVERSITIES IN THE COUNTRY
University of Porto (U.Porto)
It was considered the best Portuguese university in 2018 in the QS World University ranking, ranking 328th in the world. Founded in March 1911, its origins date back to the 18th century, where it specialized in the fields of science, arts and medicine.
Several of their courses are the result of joint initiatives from their faculties, thus allowing to combine different knowledge. An example of this is the combination of Communication Sciences, Biochemistry and Bioengineering in the prestigious PhD program in Basic and Applied Biology (GABBA).
- Degree Fees:
· 871, 52 € (annual value of the 2019/2020 school year).
· The only additional cost to enrollment is 1.95 € of school insurance.
The Social Welfare Services (SASUP) has nine university residences with the capacity to accommodate about 1200 students. Spread across the three university hubs, the university residences offer a choice of single, group or double rooms.
- Accommodation (monthly amount):
· 75 € for students and 160 € for non-students.
· Total costs (annually): 2,576.47 €
University of Lisbon (ULisboa)
Occupying the 355th position in the QS World University Rankings 2018, the University of Lisbon is the second best institution in Portugal to study. In addition, it is one of the largest universities in the country and in Europe.
It is also responsible for receiving about 6,900 international students from over 100 countries, representing about 14.5% of the total student population.
Examples of colleges belonging to this institution are the Faculty of Architecture, the Faculty of Pharmacy, the Faculty of Law and the Faculty of Letters.
· € 871.52 (value of the annual degree);
· 1,063.47 € (annual value of the degree with integrated masters).
· At ULisboa there are also 24 university residences, 19 for students. Prices range from 76 € to 180 €.
· Thus, the total costs will be approximately € 3,535.52.
NOVA University of Lisbon
The New University of Lisbon is one of the most prestigious universities in the areas to which it is dedicated. It was founded on August 11, 1973 and is divided into several poles.
The New University of Lisbon turned out to be a response to the growing need for higher education in Portugal. The immensity of educational establishments requires each one of them to have great autonomy. Currently, NOVA has more than 20,077 students enrolled and a total of 1,800 teachers and researchers.
One of the main factors of betting on this University of Lisbon is its recognition in the main international rankings: in the study “QS World University Rankings 2018” occupies the 405th position. Their teaching is thus considered of excellence and this can be one of the crucial aspects to ensure a high level of professional success.
For those who do not have another accommodation alternative, the Social Welfare Services (SASNOVA) have three university residences. The monthly accommodation costs range from 212 € to 395 €.
· € 871.52 per year
· Or the amount can be paid in two installments (September or December). Alternatively, you may also be paid in seven installments.
· Total costs: 4,507, 92 €
University of Coimbra (UC)
The University of Coimbra is the first and oldest Portuguese university. Founded in the 13th century in 1290, it was the only university in Lusitanian soil until the early 20th century.
Due to its history and tradition, in 2013 it was classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Its goal is to keep the tradition but keep innovating and updating itself. For this reason, in QS World University Rankings 2018, it occupied the 407th place, being in 4th position in relation to Portuguese universities.
If you like tradition and academic spirit, studying at this university may be the best option. In addition, most prominent personalities of culture, science and national politics were formed there.
· € 871.52 (annual amount);
· Accommodation (monthly value): between 76 € and 185 €.
· Total costs (annually): 3,431, 52 €.
The costs of a degree can be costly, especially when you have to move from city or region. If you have no income to invest in your education, you can always opt for a personal credit training. The offer is varied. Just choose the best option for you.
To read more about personal credit training, see the full article.