The President of the Republic accepted the resignation of Azeredo Lopes on the proposal of the prime minister, said Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa in a statement published on the page of the Presidency of the Republic.
"The President of the Republic accepted the proposal for exemption and awaits the proposal to appoint the successor," said Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa, adding that António Costa still proposed any name to replace the defense minister.
Defense Minister Azeredo Lopes presented his resignation to Prime Minister António Costa on Friday, October 12.
Azeredo Lopes has been under fire since the Tancos case, but António Costa has so far maintained his confidence in the minister, as he did with the former minister of Internal Administration, Constança Urbano de Sousa, when the controversy grew.
Four days ago, António Costa said the minister is an "important asset" in the government, adding that trust in Azeredo Lopes has been "unchanged" since the government took office in November 2015.