In the letter, released today, the union structure defended that “it is not understandable that ministers come to say in the public square that one has to look and 'maybe' change the law of the strike, because this date of the 70's and it is out of date today "
SIMM reminded Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa, in the same letter, that “this same law is an integral part of the fundamental law of the country, the Constitution of the Portuguese Republic”, and that the President “played an active role in its formulation as a Member of the Assembly. Constituent".
"What seems to be at stake is a direct attack on workers' rights and April values enshrined in that Constitution," SIMM lamented.
Speaking to RTP in late July, Deputy Minister of Economy Pedro Siza Vieira stated that “this is a matter that needs to be politically equated and the various political actors have to consider, check the desirability of need to revise the strike law in this regard. ”
The law is from the 1970s "and it makes sense to think about whether we should keep it or not, but especially to state this: I have the very clear convention that we have to improve regulation of work situations," said the minister.
The governor then clarified that he had not proposed any revision of the strike law and also assured that it is not in the Government's plans to make a legislative revision.
“What I said is that the person who has to consider whether or not a strike law revision is justified is not me. This is certainly not in the Government's plans, ”said the minister.
In a letter to the President known today, SIMM also criticized plans to use the military to help alleviate the effects of the strike, scheduled to begin on August 12, which were announced by National Defense Minister Joao Gomes Cravinho.
"The government announces for the first time in democracy that it will use military and militarized forces, with the pretext of helping the population, the purpose is to prevent and break the strike of goods drivers," criticized the SIMM.
According to the letter, “the use of the armed forces would be understandable if in the strike last April there had been news that some unavoidable social service had paralyzed or suffered embarrassment or relief to the population,” according to the report. union did not happen.
The union also pointed out that recourse to the military “would be understandable if the unions calling for the strike on the 12th had not advanced in advance with proposals for 100% minimum services for all such services and 25% for other services” or "if there had been any statement by the leaders of these unions that they did not intend to comply with the proposed minimum services."
SIMM also made a request to Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa: “do not consent to continue this attack on our living and working conditions, ours and our families”.
The unions that issued a strike warning beginning on August 12 are meeting with the government today and say they have “several proposals” to present to Minister of Infrastructure and Housing Pedro Nuno Santos.
The strike called by the SIMM and the National Union of Hazardous Drivers (SNMMP), which begins indefinitely on August 12, threatens the supply of fuel and other goods.
The Government will have to set minimum strike services after the trade unions and ANTRAM proposals have diverged between 25% and 70%, as well as including overtime work and loading and unloading operations.